AFI AWARDS SUBMISSION CRITERIA
Each year, AFI Awards honors excellence in American film and television by recognizing the creative ensembles which collaborate to create the year's outstanding movies and television programs, all of which:
- Best advance the art of the moving image;
- Enhance the rich cultural heritage of America's art form;
- Inspire audiences and artists alike;
- And/or make a mark on American Society.
RULES OF ELIGIBILITY – MOTION PICTURES
AFI will consider eligible any film that fulfills the following criteria:
- Feature-Length Motion Picture
Narrative fiction format, over 60 minutes in length.
Motion Picture with significant creative and/or production elements from the United States.
The motion picture need not be presented in the English language if it is incontrovertibly American.
Motion pictures originally released between January 1 and December 31, 2017, which have been publicly exhibited in a commercial theater in Los Angeles for paid admission and screened for at least seven days.
- Each submission requires a completed form, synopsis (100 words or less) and 20 DVD screeners (subject to availability) of the motion picture.The DVD provided must be identical to the film as originally released.
RULES OF ELIGIBILITY – TELEVISION
AFI will consider eligible any television program that fulfills the following criteria:
- Television Program
Narrative fiction format, originated either as a series, mini-series or feature.
Television program with significant creative and/or production elements from the United States. Program need not be presented in the English language if it is incontrovertibly American.
First-run programs originally released or transmitted to American audiences on network television, cable, pay-per-view, interactive cable or broadband between January 1 and December 31, 2017.
- Each submission requires a fully completed submission form, synopsis (100 words or less), $150 administration fee and 15 DVD screeners of the single submitted episode. Please inlcude a short description of the program along with the episode synopsis.
- The submitted episode must be identical to the one as aired on television with commercials removed.
Please send DVD screeners to:
2021 North Western Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027
AFI SPECIAL AWARDS
AFI SPECIAL AWARDS are given to outstanding achievements in the moving image that do not fit into AFI's criteria for the other honorees – for example, foreign films and television programs, documentaries, web narratives, video games and other forms of storytelling that made an indelible mark on the art of the moving image in 2017.
MOTION PICTURE SUBMISSIONS
October 19, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. PT
Deadline for television submissions
October 26, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. PT
Deadline for film submissions
December 7, 2017
AFI AWARDS honoree announcement
January 5, 2018
AFI AWARDS 2017 luncheon